This is the number one way to shoot photos just like the pros and to get radically better images.
Almost every amateur photographer I see shoots from too far back from their subjects.
Here’s what happens:
- Your subject doesn’t dominate the image
- It or they don’t fill the frame
- There’s more chance for distracting stuff in the background to compete for your viewer’s attention
- You can’t direct your subjects as easily when you’re too far back
- At weddings and outdoor events more aggressive photographers can get in front of you
Now as to how close you should be I’d recommend getting within touching distance. Then step back one step and shoot another shot.
You’re going to be amazed at how much better your images look just by getting in closer